The Moth was a light biplane initially produced in England. By 1928, De Havilland Aircraft of Canada began to assemble Moth aircraft in Toronto and Moths became a standard trainer in the RCAF and flying clubs across the country.
Our Moth arrived at Blatchford Field in 1928, a year after the airport opened. It was one of the first aircraft to be operated by the Edmonton and Northern Alberta Aero Club.
On August 2, 1927, Wop May and Kenneth Blatchford organized a meeting at the MacDonald Hotel with local aviation enthusiasts to form Canada's first flying club. It was the Edmonton and Northern Aero Club, later to become the Edmonton Fling Club.
Wop May was elected as the clubs first president and flying instructor. The club received its first Moth (G-CAKJ,) delivered to Blatchford Field by Wop May with Airport Manager Jimmy Bell as his passenger.
One July 19, 1928 official training commenced with 20 students in two classes. Among the first students was Gladys Graves, the first women in Alberta to receive a pilots licence. Due to other commitments, Wop May had to resign his position and was succeeded by the famous instructor Moss Burbridge. Burbridge trained over 1,100 pilots, one out of every 12 in the country, including Grant McConachie. Not one of his students was injured in training.
Our Moth, G-CYYG ,is on loan from the Reynolds Alberta Museum.
For more on this aircraft:
Edmonton Aero Club Moth comes back home.